Sunday, August 3, 2014

It's been a long time / My #8Essentials

I know it’s been pretty dormant over here recently, but I have never been quite sure what I was going to do with this space.  I loved posting mixtapes, but I'm seeing far fewer mixtapes worth downloading, let alone posting.  I also thought about opening up more about myself, but I don't think this is the place for that, if I ever decide to do it.

I got the idea for a new segment for the blog when I fell down an internet rabbit hole and ended up on GQ’s website.  They have an interesting feature where they ask people what are some of the things that are essential for getting them through life.  Since it’s GQ and they are often talking to celebrities, most of the things that they mention are expensive as hell.  I figured, why not try to see what gets people like you and I through life.  If I'm going to do this I might as well start with myself.  So here goes nothing.

8 Essentials:


1. The Daily Show with Jon Stewart
The only bad thing about Fridays is that there’s no Jon Stewart on my television.  I really wish they would have episodes on Fridays.  The Daily Show is the only thing on television I can always depend on to make me laugh on a weekly basis..


2. A Tribe Called Quest - Midnight Marauders
This album is the most influential piece of media on my life, ever.  It’s the only album I remember the exact place I first heard it.  I didn’t really care about music at all until I heard this.  Midnight Marauders and Illmatic are still the only two perfect Hip-Hop albums, I've ever heard.  There's not a single bad or skippable song on either.    Also, you can click on the pic to enlarge the album cover to get a better look at the faces on the cover.  You should checkout Egotrip's oral history for the making of the iconic cover.



3. Turkey Hill Lemonade
Nectar of da GAWDS!

4. Chromecast
I use this just about everyday.  Any YouTube video over eight minutes usually gets the Chromecast treatment.  I love watching Issa Rae and Black & Sexy TV content on an actual television.  Thanks to this little device they literally are the best Black entertainment on television.


5. Pocket Casts
After Google killed Google Reader and Google Listen (podcast app) I must have tried three or four different apps.  At that time I had never paid for an app and never saw myself paying for one until I saw multiple reviews for Pocket Casts on YouTube.  After trying as many apps as I had I was finally ready to pull the trigger on actually purchasing an app and I've never regretted it.  This app makes public transit to and from work bearable.


6. The Tony Kornheiser Show
Speaking of podcasts, if you're a sports fan who also likes smart humor on the topics of the day there's no show better.  It's a must download for any fan of Pardon The Interruption.  Between Korneiser's show and The Daily Show, you will always be informed and entertained.  Unfortunately Tony is taking his annual Summer break, so he's been off of the air for about a month.



7. Wrangler Men's Rugged Wear Relaxed Fit Jeans
My go to jeans were Levi’s SilverTab, but a few years ago they were discontinued by Levi and I was a man with a go to jean.  I had tried a few different brands until I finally found these.  They're cheaper than the SilverTabs I used to buy and maybe even more comfortable.

8. Leather Money Clip & Card Holder
Since I'm one of the few people under 50 years of age that actually carries cash, this comes in handy.  I like to have my loyalty cards free from my wallet so I keep them in the card slots.

My list could've been longer, but I figured 8 was the perfect number considering things.  Not to mention, there were some things I wanted to share but I couldn't find decent pics of them.  Yup, I'm lazy.

Anyway, if you'd be interested in passing along a few of the things that you love, just let me know in the comments or something.

Thanks for stopping by,

8

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Midnight Marauders is AWESOME beyond words. TRUST.