Friday, April 24, 2009

Another Evening With 8thlight

Well, this past Wednesday, the 22nd I went to The Abbey in Chicago to catch Wale's The Attention Deficit Tour featuring Colin Munroe. I was really amped to see Wale & Colin. I loved both of the Wale mixtapes that I've heard (100 Miles And Running & The Mixtape About Nothing). 100 Miles is definitely my favorite because it's filled with tons of my favorite beats.

The first time I had heard of Colin was when he killed Kanye's Flashing Lights a little while ago and I've been following him ever since. I loved his Unsung Hero mixtape as well so I was really looking forward to this show and when I found out that Mic Terror was also on the bill it was a must that I go.

Anyway, on to the show . . . It was supposed to start at 9pm with the doors opening at 8pm. I'm turning the corner to venue at about 9:15pm only to see a long ass line outside! WTF?!!?!? Why was was it after 10pm and I was still standing outside with my ticket waiting to get it? I could see the opening act in the window from outside!!?! >_< Who ever was in charge at the Abbey really shouldn't have still had a job as of Thursday morning.

I finally get inside around 10:30pm or 11pm just in time to see Mic Terror take the stage. If I would've missed him I would've seriously tried to get my money back for the shenanigans that took place at the door. Luckily, I made it in time to get some decent footage. Be gentle this was my first foray into concert video. lol



After Mic Terror came Colin Munroe, but unfortunately the sound engineer was having a difficult time getting things together. Munroe's mics weren't very loud and some faint booing could be heard. I think it kind of got too Colin because he seemed really flustered on stage after the boos began. His set was so short that I didn't even get any video or pics. I was hoping he would perform Will I Stay with Wale, but no luck on that front.

And now for the main event!



Wale's backing band was a Go-Go band called UCB. They were definitely dope. Wale, himself was great although I think he's been studying Jay-Z a little too closely. I wondered if he had any mannerisms of his own. It was the only negative of seeing him live. I don't hate Jay-Z, but I definitely didn't expect to a physical clone of his. lol Jay definitely seems to have his finger prints all over this. Wale's even wearing a Roc-A-Fella chain.



Sadly, my memory card was too full to get video of him performing Chillin' or when he turned W.A.L.E.D.A.N.C.E. into Nirvana's Smells Like Teen Spirit. But overall it was a great performance and I can't wait to see him again . . . but this time in a much better venue with a suitable sound system and people at the door who know what they are doing.

Thanks for reading,

8

P.S. If you happen to be reading this and in Toronto, you might want to go check him out.


1 comment:

Citizen Ojo said...

Good Looking Out on the Videos!!