Sunday, April 12, 2009

What are your Hip-Hop confessions?

I'm a huge Skillz. He's one of my favorite rappers. I tend to like his mixtapes more than his albums, but music is music to me so I really don't care. I recently got my first chance to see him in concert and he was great.



When I saw this video, I thought the first two confessions were interesting. I'm not a huge Outkast fan. My favorite album of theirs was Southernplayalisticadillacmuzik. I never really got too into the rest of their music. I would hear a song here & there that I liked, but never anything that made me run out and buy one of their albums. I even think that Andre 3000 is a top 5 emcee in regards to talent, but not necessarily production. But, Big Boi kinda makes my ears bleed. He always seems like he's fighting his words, similar to Talib Kweli. The slight advantage that Talib has is that he has superior content.

The second confession didn't seem like much of a confession. Not owning an album by the Emmitt Smith of the rap (ie: incredibly overrated) until after he got shot isn't much of a confession to me. Hell, I just scanned my windows media player and found that I don't own a single song of his. I do have songs by other artists in which he makes an appearance.

The third confession is a head scratcher. I question it's validity. I just don't see how it can possibly be true. I will let you watch the video for that one. lol

What are some of your hip-hop confessions?



4 comments:

Karen said...

My hip-hop confession is that I'm not really a fan of hip-hop. I probably only like 2% of it, and that's usually the independent stuff. Grits would probably be my favorite. Nerdcore is my pretty fun. I like that sub-genre. And Rapcore (i.e. P.O.D.) where there's more rock and a little bit of rap.

Anonymous said...

I don't understand this! lol. Maybe because I'm deeply Southern? I love Outkast. Andre is more unique and usually the better lyricist, but I love Big Boi. His entrance is always great.

I'll make a confession later when I think about it. I just had to comment on this Outkast blasphemy.

8thlight said...

@Karen

Well, a lot of my favorites are indie as well. Are there any black nerdcore artists? I guess they would just be considered underground rappers and not necessarily nerdcore.

@Monet

What was blasphemous about my Outkast comment? I loved their first album. lol You're just blinded by your love of Andre 3000.

Anonymous said...

@ 8th

Wrong. I never got on the 3000 bandwagon. You know I prefer Big Boi. :-P