Friday, December 26, 2008

The Blogger Album Project

I know that I am terribly late with this, but I was tagged by everyone's favorite boho, The Bohemian Hippie Chick to list my top 7 albums of all time. That's a hell of a task. Plus, with the exception of 2 of them the other 5 may change from day to day. lol



Here are the rules:

1. Post your list of the seven best albums, the seven bloggers you will tag, a copy of these rules, and a link back to this page.
2. Each person tagged will put a URL to their Blogger Album Project post along with a list of the seven best albums in the comment section here.
3. Feel free to post the “I Contributed to the Blogger Album Project” Award Graphic on your sidebar, along with a link back to this page.
4. Post a link back to the blogger who tagged you.


Is it just me or does that seem like a hell of a lot of work? lol Anyway, on with the show. In no particular order:

Midnight Marauders is the album that made me fall in love with music. I didn't listen to a ton of music before this. I would just basically listen to whatever was on. I wasn't an active listener. I didn't seek out new music or artists until I heard this album. I kinda fell in love with Hip-Hop as a result. I listened to it before, but this album made me care.

Illmatic if you follow this blog to any extent you have already read my thoughts on this one. If not, check out Memory Lane and maybe answer the question I pose there as well. :)

Blowout Comb is a banger from start to finish. Their first album may have had the huge single, but the second album was better as a whole.

Don't Sweat The Technique has one of my favorite song of all time, Know The Ledge. But besides that, the album is a chance to catch the greatest emcee ever at the top of his game.

The Complete 1961 Village Vanguard Recordings is definitely an acquired taste. It's a lot of music, but if you are a Coltrane fan I highly recommend this set. It was recorded in four nights in November of 1961.

Hard To Earn has to be my favorite Gang Starr album. It's the best example of the greatest producer ever at work. Guru was and is one of the most underrated emcees ever He was often overshadowed by Primo's sonic genius, but he was & is great in his own right. Although this album is my favorite from the group, Moment Of Truth is probably the best example of Guru's greatness. He literally lays his life out in front of you along DJ Premier's tracks. But, Hard To Earn is my official choice. Mass Appeal alone puts this on my list. lol

Bill Withers Live At Carnegie Hall is my favorite live album that's not jazz.

I guess this is the part where I name the 7 people that I will tag. Well, previous run ins with tagging haven't gone too well. I was giving stuff away and couldn't get any participation. lol

mindful

Fledgling Fashionista

Canela NYC

Assertive Wit

Lazy Pen

Serenity Life

Bourgie, Esq.

T. Michelle Theus

Leather

Gang Starr Girl

Liz Burr

Stephanie

dmb5_libra

Samax

DJ Gemz

Lola Funk Android & Dena Kali

Synchronicity

TeLisa D.

The New Lisa Turtle

JKEYS

Extended Aim Profile

D.Son

The Listing Addict

Jay

digitalxsunrise

Free2Bee

Yes, I know that was well over 7 people, but I figured this way I may at least get one or two people to pass this along. I'm also interested in their choices, but yeah . . .

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey 8thlight! Good choices...especially Blowout Comb! I agree, this was a hell of a lot of work! Thanks for joining us though.

Smooches! ;-)

Anonymous said...

Aw you tagged me! I can't even do this though, it'd take me forever. As much as I like to listen to music, I have never tried to rank albums or thought about the most influential albums. I don't have favorites. Not a favorite song/album, color, food or place. :(

AssertiveWit said...

I'm gonna devote a couple of hours to finding all this music this weekend...I LOVE music!!!

AssertiveWit said...

and...doing this darn tag LOL

GangStarr Girl said...

I posted!!!!

http://www.gangstarrgirl.com/2009/01/manic-music-monday_19.html